Although significant weight loss may help to improve your general health, it inevitably leaves you with a large amount of hanging excess skin in your abdomen, buttocks, and thigh areas. There is a new surgical procedure that is being utilized to help remove this excess skin called a lower body lift or belt lipectomy. This procedure is a combination of three different surgeries (tummy tuck, thigh lift, and buttock lift) all done simultaneously. The goal of this procedure is to leave you with a smooth contour to the abdomen, lower back, buttocks, and thighs that is free from excess hanging skin. The goal of this procedure is to leave you with a smooth contour to the abdomen, lower back, buttocks, and thighs that is free from excess hanging skin.
The ideal candidate for a lower body lift surgery is:
- Someone with excess skin due to a substantial weight loss either from gastric bypass or from diet and exercise
- Someone who is physically healthy
- A non-smoker
- Someone who has specific, but realistic goals in mind for the improvement of their appearance
- Someone who has maintained a stable weight for a minimum of nine months
- Someone who has established maximum weight loss
Due to the extensive nature of this procedure, you must also realize that you will be left with significant scarring in replace of the excess skin. For most individuals this tradeoff is minimal in comparison to a living a life with the excess skin, and they are willing to deal with the scars. The lower body lift procedure is usually done in conjunction with other surgical procedures such a liposuction. Dr. Chahin will discuss with you these procedures, and what is mutually felt to be the best method of treatment to aid in achieving optimal results for you.